The Mansion Inn at 700 16th Street, completed in 1958 for E.A. Corum & Sons, consists of garden courtyards, pools, fountains, lavish plantings, and a greenhouse/lounge area.
It occupies the city block by G, H, 15th & 16th Streets in downtown Sacramento. The site was acquired parcel by parcel over a 10 year period. The original Mansion Inn housed 51 hotel units, a small restaurant and bar, and included a live-in manager’s apartment. The live-in manager’s apartment was converted in 1959 to a small cocktail lounge and the original bar was converted to additional restaurant seating. The courtyard design was an innovative concept at the time. The restaurant became a popular dining-out place for locals who enjoyed the view of the courtyard.
Received the AIACV Honor Award, 1959; California Governor’s Design Award, Certificate of Excellence, and the AIACV Citation Award for the lobby expansion in 1976.